As part of our Landlords Vs Tenants campaign, we asked tenants nationwide, to answer a series of questions where they’ve been on the receiving end of Landlord Scams.
Look below to find Chloe from Leeds’s response.
Chloe, Leeds -
1. I wish I still had photographs of the first house I rented a room in; the bathroom wall was literally green with moss. When I viewed the house I saw my room and the living area/kitchen and didn't even think about the bathroom. I complained constantly when I realised how disgusting it was, someone did come out to give us a quote once but nothing happened. 4 months into my contract I told the landlord I was going to move out if they didn't fix it. 2 months later I left. And she took me to court for breaking the contract. The judge didn't care about the conditions of the house. I had to pay the remaining 6 months fees plus costs.
2. I was charged £65 for a light bulb once. And £50 for "removal of personal items" which was a carrier bag full of carrier bags we kept hooked on the back of the basement door.
3. I tried to after the whole false negative reference but was told by the lawyer there were no laws to protect me, so nothing to fight.
4. I will ask friends if they've had experience with specific letting agents, but they're all as bad as each other so not sure it does much good picking and choosing. I need somewhere to live, beggars can't be choosers.
5. 2-4 weeks. I had a window smashed recently and after 6 weeks of my landlord not answering texts and calls not connected I held back my rent. Still took her two weeks after that to contact me to say she had been out of the country! The whole time I was left with an unsecured home.
We buy property directly and you won't pay any agent's fees.